Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Another one bites the dust

A friend of mine (you know who you are) recently said she 'laughs in the face of disaster.' Well this is me laughing hahahahahahaha. Our vacuum has bit the dust. I'm pretty sure for the final time. Now I'm sure you are saying to yourself "THIS is a disaster??""Isn't she being a bit dramatic??". Well, anyone who lives with any children, let alone 4 boys!! knows that the lack of a vacuum borders on disaster. Add to that an old but small apartment that is fully carpeted and I'd say that tips the scales into the disaster field.
Do we have a funeral? That is the question. This vacuum that we've been using has been in my family far longer than I. It has made the family rounds and was given to me finally by my father. Very generously. I'm serious - it was nice of him. It was a great vacuum too. It could probably suck up a small child, it could blow up air mattresses and the cord could get sucked back into the machine for storage - like it was made that way. Way cool. It did weigh about 25 lbs but I still made the boys haul it around when they made messes on the floor. Sigh. Here's a picture.
May it rest in peace. The vacuum end came off and won't reconnect to the hose. I'm going to have to confess to my father...
SO, then Anthony brought home this vacuum -
Certainly doesn't look any younger does it? It does have a stand up attachment that weighs about 10lbs and won't push forward, forcing you to vacuum backwards. No folks, I can not make this stuff up. So out of total desperation, I was forced to vacuum the ENTIRE apartment with the hose function. Ahhhh. I don't know when we'll be able to buy a new one - so I guess I'm stuck vacuuming this way, or backwards.
A sad funeral is definitely in order.

7 comments:

Christa said...

I'm glad I don't have to tell Dad! Did you try duct tape?

Maybe you should bring it home this weekend.

Wendy said...

I had an old hoover like that too, it sucked up everything. We could find a high balcony and drop your vaccum and my lawn mower off. Might make us feel better :)

Let me know if your "new" one does not work out... I know of a place in Sugar Grove that sells good used ones!

Sarah said...

I think mom and dad also have grandma Addie's vacuum. I had that in my old place before I got married. Maybe they would give you guys that one? Oh man, remember how she had one of those things that like sucks crumbs up and stuff manually though--like what they use in restaurants. That would be awesome to have...I wonder where it is????

Becky said...

Is that the blue one? I think I've seen Dad using it recently. I don't know if they even have another vacuum anymore. I don't know what we're going to do. I'm going to ask Anthony to try the duct tape idea. If that doesn't work, I might go with Wendy's 'throwing it off a high balcony' idea. We could throw them off the loft... or maybe we could use parts from both machines to make a super vacuum 3000 that also mows lawns or something.

Sarah said...

no seriously there is a market for those old vacuums. like people buy them after they have been fixed...

Asturiano said...

So now I find out? That vacuum can be repaired. It's made that way so it can be fixed--I'm sure. I hope you didn't throw it away, did you?

Becky said...

Just to clarify - no we didn't throw it away. Of course not! I'd probably be disowned. ;) Dad did take it home with him. Hopefully it's fixable. Got a new one last week though. Soooo luxurious after lugging those things around!